Xeriscaping is the creation of a landscape in your yard with indigenous plants and grasses from this area. These plants will require less water and fertilizer than say for example, the grass in your yard currently. Virtually everyone loves a green lawn, but with the cost of everything going up, including water, a yard that is xeriscaped will cost less money to keep up and really fit in with the 7,000 foot plus high desert mountain climate of Santa Fe, NM.
Xeriscaping does require some water. Most new xeriscaped yards have local plants as part of the layout. Even though those plants will require far, far less water than grass does, the plants will require some watering and a drip irrigation watering system is just the ticket to get the job done. Once you’ve figured out what plants and rocks you want for your xeriscaped yard you’ll need to factor in a drip irrigation system to your costs. The beauty about a drip system is that if it’s done correctly the yard will almost be maintenance free other than some occasional week pulling and the requirement to shut down and start up your drip system at the end and the beginning of each season. Here are some of the benefits of xeriscaping the yard of your home:
1. Annual costs are less – You will not have a lawn to water so that means way lower water bills.
2. Wildlife Habitat – Native plants means indigenous animals will have the best habitat possible.
3. Fertilizer bill – You will not have to fertilize your xeriscaped yard.
4. Virtually No Yard Work – The Saturday morning lawn mower chore goes out the window when you xeriscape your yard.
5. Lower water use – A drip system with 1 and 2 gallon per hour bubblers to each plant will reduce your water bill to a tiny fraction of your bill when you had a lawn to water.
How to get rolling if you like this idea –
There are books to refer to for xeriscaping ideas. There are also plenty of websites you can look at that offer ideas about xeriscaping. And lastly you can contact a local landscaping company for quote on xeriscaping your yard. Once you’ve decided what your action plan it’s time to get moving and save money on your water bill for years to come.